This knowledge base contains articles and how-tos that will help you to get most from your Kryptel or Silver Key software and to ensure safety of your data.
- Quick Intro to Encryption
- Exactly what the title says: an introduction. Nothing new here for experienced users, but if you are new to encryption, this article can make the picture clearer.
- Data Shredding
- This article gives you some insight into data shredding – what is it and why do you need it. You will also find a few useful tips there.
- About Backdoors
- Explains how do Kryptel 8 and Silver Key 5 prevent inserting a backdoor into their encrypted files.
Passwords and Keys
- Password Manager Primer
- Simple step-by-step manual on how to set up and use Kryptel Password Manager.
- Passwords and Keys
- Briefly describes the supported key types: passwords, binary keys, Yubikeys, composite keys, and key groups.
- How to Choose a Good Password
- Choosing a quality hacking-resistant password is not as simple as it sounds, and this article may give you a few useful hints. The article contains practical recommendations, covering three most important how-tos: how to choose, how to use, and how not to lose.
- Binary Keys
- A short introduction into binary keys. Binary key is usually kept on a USB flash stick; you plug the stick in instead entering the password.
- Secure Password Manager
- Kryptel Password Manager keeps user's passwords and key in encrypted storage and supplies them when necessary via encrypted communication channel.
- Enforced Keys
- A more advanced technique uses Password Manager to disable encryption with unauthorized keys. This article describes how to restrict keys to an approved set.
- Getting Started with Kryptel
- Quick introduction to basic Kryptel functions for new Kryptel users.
- Kryptel Browser Primer
- A brief overview of Kryptel Browser's basic functions. Kryptel Browser is a powerful tool for viewing and modifying encrypted files.
- Encrypted Backup
- How-to on creating and scheduling encrypted backup.
- Kryptel Data Recovery
- How-to for recovering data from a corrupted container using Kryptel Data Recovery.
- Integration with Total Commander
- Describes installing and using Kryptel (Kryptelite) plug-in for Total Commander. The plug-in component allows accessing Kryptel containers and Kryptel encrypted backups directly in the Total Commander panes.
Silver Key-related articles
- Silver Key Quick Start
- Quick how-to for new Silver Key users.
- WebSilver: A Better Way For Exchanging Files
- A tool for transparent file exchange via popular Web storage services.
- Silver Key Uploaders
- Uploading Silver Key parcels to Web storage.
- Using Certificates
- Signing Silver Key parels: how to obtain and how to use digital certificates.
- Compatibility with Older Versions
- If you or your correspondent use an old version of Silver Key: possible issues and how to solve them.
- What Is Yubikey
- A brief introduction. What is Yubikey and what do you get by using a hardware key.
- Setting Up Your Yubikey
- A guide to obtaining and setting up a new Yubikey.
- Using Yubikey
- Using Yubikeys for individuals and workgroups.
- Managing Yubikey Lists (deprecated)
- Creating and managing pre-created Yubikey lists.
Product setup and customization
- Deploying Kryptel and Silver Key
- Describes special installation methods, useful mainly in multi-user environment.
- Default and Forced Settings
- This article describes special techniques for system administrators who need to configure the software for mass deployment or server-side processing.
- Creating Virtual Keyboards
- Describes in detail how to create a custom virtual keyboard.
- Translating to Other Languages
- How to localize Kryptel or Silver Key into another language.
- How to Secure Your Files with Kryptel in 3 Easy Steps
- Another small primer on basic Kryptel operations.